- Provides a healthy alternative for bird owners who choose to prepare their own bird food or those who give regular treats to their birds
- Can be offered instead of table food to birds that like to eat at family mealtimes
- Can be used to assist in converting birds to a formulated diet
- Can be hidden as a foraging reward
- Can be used as a vehicle for administering liquid medications
- Provides an easy-to-use transition for hospitalized or boarding birds until acceptance of the appropriate formulated diet
- Can be moistened and offered to birds that are feeding chicks as a soft food
- Can be used as a weaning food to transition to a formulated diet
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Combine entire bag of mix with 2 whole organic eggs including the shell (remove yolk for less fat), 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) AVIx Sunshine FactorÂ® or other high quality organic vegetable oil, and 1 cup (235 ml) water. Fill greased bread pan or muffin tins and bake for 25-35 minutes. Do not bake in nonstick (PTFE-coated) cookware, as the fumes are toxic to birds.
Storage & Shelf Life
- May make up to 30% of the daily diet.
- If prepared with the addition of fruits, vegetables or nuts, Bird Bread should be considered a treat and fed only in limited quantities (no more than 10% of the daily food allotment when combined with all other treats).
- Can be served warm.
- Some flavorings (vanilla, maple) or herbs can be added as long as they do not change the nutritional content.
Because Bird Bread Mix contains not preservatives, some care is recommended for storage.
- If the bag is opened, the top can be zipped closed or rolled down and closed with a chip clip for 4-6 weeks.
- Bird Bread can be stored for 1 week in the refrigerator and 1 year in the freezer after baking.
- Baked Bird Bread can be divided into portions, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed back in the original Harrisons Bird Foods bag for storage in the freezer.
- Bird Bread should not be reheated in a plastic container.
Crude protein (min.) 15%
Crude fat (min.) 8%,
Crude fiber (max.) 6.5%
Moisture (max.) 10%
*Grey millet, *Safflower, *Sweet corn, Baking powder (aluminum-free) *CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT